Guess what we were given today!!?
Mom and Dad gave us a bucket full of olives from their tree to preserve.
First thing I did was to sort them out into 3 categories
Greens, Mixed [Green and Black] and Black.
I had to painstakingly cut 4 slits in the olives. They were too beautiful to bash like my 1st batch.
I decided to do the green ones 1st as they need a longer time in the brine.
Click “Continue reading ” or scroll down to see the steps.
How to Prepare Olives For Preserving [Removing the bitterness]
- 900 ml Water
- 100 g Salt
- Sort out the olives into 3 different categories
- Wash the olives
- Make 4 slit in the olives with a knife
- Put the cut olives into big glass jars
- Combine in a pot and heat up till dissolve
900 ml Water
100 g Salt
6) Once dissolved pour the brine solution into the glass jars and make sure the olives are submerged. One way to do that is to use glass things. this time I’ve used glass candle holders and ramekins.
To make sure it makes a tight seal [aka make sure the olives are under the water. One way to do that is put a thin layer of olive oil
Check back in 7 days.. Taste the olives and see if they are to your liking. If they are not, rinse and repeat steps 5 to 6 until they are to the level of bitterness you like.