Posted on

Wicking Bed 1| Home DIY

So after months of research and gathering of the materials needed, we are FINALLY making our wicking bed.

Below shows our progress with each layer, I will be updating this post showing you each layer 🙂

Topped up with horse manure and soil and wetter soil.
Topped up with horse manure and soil and wetter soil.

 We used a pallet to fill up 150 mm of the vertical space of the container. We made sure that it was level.

We used a pallet to fill up 150 mm of the vertical space of the container.
We made sure that it was level.
We added 1 layer of bricks to add another 50 mm to the layer making it 200mm
We added 1 layer of bricks to add another 50 mm to the layer making it 200mm
Next we added the carpet layer to add a padded layer to protect our black plastic from the sharp bricks.
Next we added the carpet layer to add a padded layer to protect our black plastic from the sharp bricks.
We tuck it all in nicely.
We tuck it all in nicely.
We use what ever scarp carpet we could find hence the mis matched pieces.
We use what ever scarp carpet we could find hence the mismatched pieces.
We put the black plastic in and secure it around the carpet edges with a staple gun Took this photo the next day and it rained over night, so it was collecting water=)
We put the black plastic in and secure it around the carpet edges with a staple gun
Took this photo the next day and it rained over night, so it was collecting water=)
Another view of our black plastic area
Another view of our black plastic area
Time to drill the overflow hole.. In hind sight, we should have drilled the hole before we added the black plastic layer.
Time to drill the overflow hole..
In hind sight, we should have drilled the hole before we added the black plastic layer.
Using a die cut drill bit to cut out the hole
Using a die cut drill bit to cut out the hole
The hole cut in progress.
The hole cut in progress.
Thought I'll try to imitate the Ag slotted pipes by angle grinding slots on the PVC pipes instead of holes.
Thought I’ll try to imitate the Ag slotted pipes by angle grinding slots on the PVC pipes instead of holes.
The 150mm inflow pipe snug and in place.
The 150mm inflow pipe snug and in place.
The 150mm outflow pipe sung and in place
The 150mm outflow pipe sung and in place
We added a layer of sand before adding the pea gravel to protect the black plastic from sharp edges. As you can see, it's been raining quite a bit and water has been collected.
We added a layer of sand before adding the pea gravel to protect the black plastic from sharp edges.
As you can see, it’s been raining quite a bit and water has been collected.
The progress of the sand layer being filled
The progress of the sand layer being filled
Close up of the overflow pipe from the inside
Close up of the overflow pipe from the inside
Close up of the overflow pipe from the outside.
Close up of the overflow pipe from the outside.
Overview of the sand layer in light of where the overflow pipe is.
Overview of the sand layer in light of where the overflow pipe is.
Pea gravel layer's progress. Also added geo fabric to the overflow pipe. Will have to change it to shade cloth as the water was not getting out fast enough.
Pea gravel layer’s progress.
Also added geo fabric to the overflow pipe.
Will have to change it to shade cloth as the water was not getting out fast enough.
Ran out of pea gravel so decided to top the rest up with sand.. We did about 200 mm for the reservoir layer
Ran out of pea gravel so decided to top the rest up with sand..We did about 200 mm for the reservoir layer
Yay.. the overflow working after I tilted it down from the inside with a brick and made a hole in the Geo fabric.
Yay.. the overflow working after I tilted it down from the inside with a brick and made a hole in the Geo fabric.
Another view of how much water needed to come out of the reservoir when the overflow pipe worked.
Another view of how much water needed to come out of the reservoir when the overflow pipe worked.
Still not draining well enough.. So will need to change the overflow pipe to shade cloth then add the Geo fabric on top and top with 300mm of soil and 100mm of mulch
Still not draining well enough.. So will need to change the overflow pipe to shade cloth then add the Geo fabric on top and top with 300 mm of soil and 100 mm of mulch
Added a mesh to keep things out
Added a mesh to keep things out
Geo layer added
Geo layer added
Topped up with horse manure and soil and wetter soil.
Topped up with horse manure and soil and wetter soil.

 

Please let me know what you think^^